Wednesday, December 22, 2004


Entry 33

I wonder why English language has become the first living language of the world ...
It surely has its own linguistic, cultural, sociological, anthropological, psychological & political reasons on which I'm not an expert , but I think one of the main reasons is the US and England's domination and sovereignty over the world in every aspect ...
I think they've tried ( and I don't know how ) to make their own language the dominant language of the world ...
I love English language a lotttttt and I'm an English teacher myself ...
I hope I haven't been so much prejudiced about this matter, but it's something that has kept my mind busy these days ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a thought on English. Its interesting that us English speakers used to feel the same about French! But I think you're absolutely right that English has spread through power (especially the economic power of the US). I don't think the US has to do much to try to convince others to learn English, its just so useful to people that they do. (Anyway, I guess people had to pick some language for trade.)But there is a good side to all of this. English loves new words, from anywhere. Because of this, new versions of International English are developing that are now influencing American and British English (Indian English, for example, is probably the most creative dialect of the language now.) So maybe everyone should play with the language and make it their own. (Or pick a new international language- I vote for Swahili.)
Christopher