Wednesday, January 11, 2006


Entry 62

" Is it foolish to give money to beggars ? "
There has always been an argument in our house & among my friends whether to give money to beggars or not ...
I, myself, almost always give money to them ... esp. when they are young children ...
These days the number of young children who beg in the streets has increased ... These young boys or girls are between the ages of 8 & 13 ... they actually don't beg; they have something like gum, a box of razors, a box of adhesive tapes or pieces of paper on which the lyrics of the Iranian great, famous & well known poet _Hafez_ are written ...
Sometimes I argue with my father that since they're selling something, they are not beggars, but my father says that I don't know who takes the money I give to these children and what it is spent for , may be for drugs for the addicted people ...
I can understand what they say , but I can't stop doing it , I just make myself satisfied by giving them money ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Due to the fact that the act of giving money to beggars encourages them to practice the behaviour as the only means of winning their daily bread makes me doubtful about doing it.In that case giving to beggars will encourage too much entry into the activity.The more you give to beggars, the harder beggars will try.If you are going to give, pick the poor person who is expecting it least.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hessam Thanks a lot for your comment What you say is correct ... I have this problem more with the children in the streets who have been forced to sell small things instead of stretching their hands like beggars ... What they do is different from what ordinary beggars do ... It's like they are working, not begging ... I don't know whether one should buy from them or not ...

Anonymous said...

Dear Chackavak I always become emotionally exhausted when I see street children at almost every turn. But please think about the probable consequences of giving money to these children. Never give anything to child beggars unless you want them staying on the streets for their rest of their lives. Their parents or the people controlling them think the child beggars are profitable and don't let them go to school. Ignore these children, run as fast as you can, although it seems a littel bit cruel and makes your heart uncomfortable. Approach a local charity organization if you really want to help them out.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hessam Thanks a lot for your guidance .. My father always says so ... I just wish I knew who these children belong to ... Do all of them have a family or not? ... Sometimes I just satisfy myself when I give them money & I say to myself, "Ok, I don't know where they're going to spend their night; now I'm just happy that they can buy something for themselves & be happy that they have been successful in their job,i.e selling these things ... " ...

Anonymous said...

I'm totally agreed with your dad! This money for sure is not going to their pocket. Either their parents or the person that they work for him/her will take it!

Anonymous said...

I think if you don't really need the things sold by the kids, you'd better not buy them. They are due to go to schools, and these phenomenons you mentioned are a kind of serious social problems in many countries(I can also see the same occasions arround my neighborhood oftenly).
These kids may be kidnapped by criminals and be sold to such a gang operated by some adults.
I guess you should listen to your father's word. After all, he knows more than you.